Saturday, February 25, 2012

Captivating

I'm sitting at the front desk of my salon today & the phone rings & its this lady inquiring to get a hair cut. I ask if she has ever been to this salon before & she answers no I found you on Facebook. Happily I ask for her information to put her in for a colour & cut with myself. Around noon this lady walks in & we get to talking about what it is we are going to do with her hair today. She explains to me how she hates her hair & who she has been seeing for a stylist for some time now, has managed to cut it all off on her & the colours all wrong and she begins to get emotional!
I turn to walk away and I see this poor woman balling her eyes out! Immediately I'm like Oh my gosh! Are you okay?!? She says to me you don't understand I found you on Facebook, I need help with my hair I am so scared of the outcome today but can you PLEASE make me beautiful again. At this point I'm over whelmed with feeling so bad for this woman I promise her a beautiful outcome. As I dig into her hair a little more I see regrowth of 2 1/2 inches, unblended & untoned highlights, spots of lightener & her hair cut was a lot shorter on her right side. I'm thinking to myself at this point this is going to take a long time & this poor woman's concern is about money. Continually crying I take her hand & once again assure her it will come out beautiful & don't worry too much about the coast. I get my colours & my foils ready, section her hair & go to town!
 During her hair process she begins to tell me & show me photos of herself in her younger years of her being a Gap model & photos of herself when she tried to audition for Victoria Secrets. What a beautiful young lady she was, now being fifty. She continues to tell me she cant stand to look in the mirror any more because tears just come to her eyes about how bad her hair looks & shes nervous, I try to keep her calm & tell her funny geeky stories about myself. She opens up a bit more about her life & her past and my heart just aches for this women  & what shes been through & for her have to go through such a mess with her hair. About an hour later & probably about 100 foils later its time to rinse her out. At the sink after our continuous conversation she hasn't even seen her hair and shes thanking me over & over again saying "I just know you made me beautiful". 
I bring her back to my chair and consult her on the damage & length of her hair, she says frowning "cut it". I take off as little as possible. When I'm done drying her hair I turn her chair around so she can see the results of our two hr long process & she begins to cry again, as shes running her hands through her hair & gives me a hug full of tears saying "I love it, it's beautiful". This woman & her story is why I love what I do. I feel as though if her last hair stylist had maybe listened a little better & been a little more educated in what she was doing with her clients hair this woman would not have had to go through that. Just seeing the end results & the look on this captivating woman's face & to know I just made her day, her night, her week that much better by doing her hair, that's the most rewarding part of my job.

No comments:

Post a Comment